It is not accidental that the Family Protection Act, which is virulently anti-woman and anti-Black, is also anti-gay. As a Black person, I know who my enemies are, and when the Ku Klux Klan goes to court in Detroit to try and force the Board of Education to remove books the Klan believes “hint at homosexuality,” then I know I cannot afford the luxury of fighting one form of oppression only. I cannot afford to believe that freedom from intolerance is the right of only one particular group. And I cannot afford to choose between the fronts upon which I must battle these forces of discrimination, wherever they appear to destroy me. And when they appear to destroy me, it will not be long before they appear to destroy you."
I find it interesting how society doesn’t care when the media sexualizes women, when men sexualize women, or when school and the government sexualize women. But the second a woman is in control, and sexualizes herself willingly, it’s wrong and disgusting.
2. Being a lady ain’t easy, honey, but somebody’s gotta do it.
3. When he asks to see your body, show him your fists.
4. Do not try to be pretty. You weren’t meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don’t let anyone ever simplify you to just “pretty.”
5. If they ask you to give them a smile, spit on their shoes.
6. Never be afraid to take up space – you’ve earned it. You deserve it.
7. When a boy claims to be a gentleman and keeps asking for your hand, tell him you’ll give him a finger. Yeah, you know the one I’m talking about.
8. ‘No’ is your friend. Practice saying it in the mirror so it will slip out like venom when he puts his hands on you.
9. Your worth is measured only by how happy you are. Nothing more, nothing less.
10. You are a fucking firework. I’m so proud of you."